Duck Commander 500: Race, Qualifying, & Practice

Published on April 14th, 2014

Joey Logano, driver of the #22 Shell-Pennzoil/Hertz Ford, celebrates after winning the Duck Commander 500.

April 4th-7th brought Nascar back to DFW for the Duck Commander 500 at Texas Motor Speedway. The spring race, which had recently been changed to a Saturday night race, was shuffled back to Sunday to accommodate the final four also in town that week. However the weather had other plans, extending the weekend to include Monday the 7th.

Storms rolled into town on Thursday night and continued on and off all weekend long. Causing all sorts of chaos on the track. By the time everything was said and done, Joey Logano passed Jeff Gordon on a Green White Checkered restart to take the win. His first win at the Texas track and hopefully securing him a spot in the Chase for the Sprint Cup.

Hendrick motorsports driver Jeff Gordon pulled off a second place finish after leading the restart, but many of his team mates weren’t as lucky. Dale Earnhardt Jr. got into the grass and hit the wall on the second full speed lap on the track. Ultimately the tire blew and he slammed into the wall, causing the car to burst into a ball of flames. Dale Jr. got out just fine, but his car was done for the day. The excursion through the grass also damaged teammate Jimmie Johnson’s car. The number 48 had to pull into the pits several times to get the car taped up and good to go, ultimately finishing 25th.

Clint Bowyer who was driving the Duck Diner number 15, was doing quite well late in the race, until a speeding penalty on pit road pushed him further back in the pack. Ruining his chances at making a run for the win. Finishing ahead of the 8th place Bowyer were, Matt Kenseth in 7th, Greg Biffle 6th, Kyle Larson in 5th, Brian Vickers in 4th, and Kyle Busch rounding it out in 3rd.

The Duck Commander 500 had 18 lead changes among 9 drivers, with 7 cautions over the duration of the race. But Logano raced hard for his win. He mentioned he felt like he had to win it twice. When the caution came out during the final laps, he had to keep his emotions in check and keep his eye on the prize. Ultimately it paid off for the youngest winner at Texas ever, and the rain delay and slick in field made for an exciting Monday race.





Comment guidelines, edit this message in your Wordpress admin panel